Unpacking the Fear of Public Speaking
- I am afraid of people making fun or thinking less of me.
- I am afraid that people won't accept me for who I am.
- I am afraid of not doing anything right.
- I am afraid that I don't know what to do.
- I am afraid of getting stuck, messing up, or missing something.
- I am afraid I won't measure up to my past success.
- I am afraid of letting people down.
- I am afraid that I won't be able to achieve my goals.
- I need to know that my natural style and approach is valuable.
- I need to know that everyone struggles and makes mistakes.
- I need to know that someone is rooting for me to succeed.
- I need to know how to get started with every new skill and activity.
- I need more time to experiment, try, and practice.
- I need clear directions and specific criticism to get me to the next level.
- I need concrete next steps on how I can make my own improvements.
- I need to know what it feels like to succeed.
- I need to lower the stakes so that the situation is less scary.
- I need to know that if I make a mistake, people will still be there for me.